Keeping yourself safe in Natchitoches

AN-GEL SAMUEL
Reporter

Most sexual assaults and other crimes are more likely to occur at night on a college campus, according to SafeWise, a home security and safety site.

The University Police department officers urge students to report anything unusual and to keep in contact with them if they sense danger.

A few campus safety tips provided by the University Police include the following:

• Lock doors and windows to your room

“The main thing for all students would be for them to lock their doors and try to know who is coming in and out of your apartment,” University Police Captain Wesley Harrell said.

• Secure your vehicle
  • Don’t leave personal belongings in the open
  • Create a list of your personal property, including serial numbers
  • Avoid walking alone at night

“I usually do not walk on campus or anywhere by myself,” freshman Kyra Jones said. “I always walk with a group of friends or I will stay on the phone with someone until I have arrived safely.”

“It’s always best to walk with a friend, but if a student has to walk alone, they can call the campus police office, and we will transport them anywhere on campus to ensure safety,” Harrell said.

• Be aware of your surroundings

“I’m always prepared for anything to happen, so I keep mace on me at all times,” sophomore Ariel Martin said. “I also make sure I’m with a friend whenever I need to go anywhere at night or during the day.”

• If you see something, say something

“Something I wish our students would do is if they see something that is out of place or doesn’t fit, that they would go ahead and call university police,” Harrell said. “We would like to be the determining factor of what is going on.”

The University Police office is located at 315 Caspari Street by the infirmary. Call them at 318-357-5431.