Student Theatre Organization brings ‘The Vagina Monologues’ to campus

Director of the Student Theatre Organization’s production of “The Vagina Monologues,” Madalyn Mullins, hopes to remind viewers of the pain and beauty of the feminine experience.

“Everyone with a feminine experience needs to hear that you’re not alone,” Mullins said. “It’s also important for male-identifying people to understand what women go through.”

“The Vagina Monologues” was written by Eve Ensler based on interviews that Ensler conducted with several women. Each monologue addresses women’s sexuality, and the show covers everything from good sexual experiences to the horrific acts of violence that men inflict on women during war.

The show’s cast consists of seven women who are dividing eleven monologues between them. Segments with the whole cast come in between the monologues.

“The show is not fully comedic or dramatic,” Mullins said. “It’s a reverence to all of the parts of womanhood, the good and the bad.”

“This show is a conversation starter,” cast member Azriel Marshall said. “We don’t talk about a lot of the struggles that women go through.”

Being a part of this show has helped some cast members to feel more comfortable with themselves and other women.

“We talk about things that we don’t even talk to our girl friends about,” Marshall said. “I’ve gained friends, gained knowledge and became more open because of this show.”

The show will run from Feb. 1-3 in the Wann Theatre on the second floor of Theatre CAPA. Doors open at 7 p.m., and the show starts at 7:30 p.m. Tickets are $5 for students and faculty and $10 for general admission. Proceeds from the show will go to the V-Day Campaign, which funds efforts to end violence against women and girls.