Basketball to take on Central Arkansas

JACOB HICKS
Contributing Reporter

The Northwestern State men’s basketball team will travel up north to take on Central Arkansas Feb. 2.

The Demons have been on the road for the past four games; the first two of these away games were against McNeese State and Southeastern. NSU defeated McNeese easily, winning 78-65, but had a much tougher test when they faced the Lions from Hammond.

Down 37-35 at halftime, Devonte Hall lit up the floor with a career-high 28 points, and Jordan Bell made a double-double with 18 points and 12 rebounds to help the Demons pull off the victory, 85-71.

“Devonte had an incredible game,” Demons Head Coach Mike McConathy said. “He had the ball in his hands and got to the line again and again and converted. He’s a tough guy who has made late game plays for us again and again.”

Their two-game win streak came to a halt, however, when they traveled to Texas to take on Lamar. The Cardinals were able to whip up on the Demons, 85-64. They shot 55 percent from the floor and had almost double the amount of rebounds on the Demons, 39-21.

“We didn’t have the extra energy to win the 50-50 balls, and it seemed like Lamar got nearly every one,” McConathy said. “We didn’t lay down by any means, but we weren’t effective except in a couple of spurts.”

In the final game of the away game stretch, the Demons take on a Central Arkansas team that has struggled mightily all season. The Bears have won only four of their 22 games this season, and three of them were in conference.

“It’s been a long stretch of games,” Guard Reginald Kissoonlal said. “We got one more on the road, and we’ve got to pick up a win. We need to keep up with the conference.”

Northwestern State’s next home game is a double header against reigning Southland Conference champion s Stephen F. Austin Feb. 4.