NSU hosts first Spanish film festival

The Department of English, Foreign Languages and Cultural Studies is hosting NSU’s first Spanish language film festival in conjunction with the Student Film Society and the Foreign Language Resource Center.

This event is made possible by a grant sponsored by Pragda Films, Ministry of Education, Culture and Sports of Spain, and SPAIN Arts and Culture. The funds from this grant are used to make it possible for American students to see Spanish language films that were not released in theaters in the United States.

“We offer a Spanish minor here at NSU, have a film studies program and a partnership with the University of Colombia, so I thought this would be an interesting way to bring these groups together,” author of the grant, Dr. Allison Rittmayer, said.

Six films will be shown at the festival over the course of five days.

“There will be something for everyone,” Rittmayer said. “We’re showing a dark comedy with horror elements, a political action thriller, a documentary, a serious drama and two animated films. Also, all of the films will be subtitled.”

There will be a Q&A session with the director of “Pequeñas Mentiras Piadosas” (“The Travel Agent”) on March 16 following the film and with the director of “Three Bellezas” (“Three Beauties”) on March 17, also following the film. International student from France Marion Cormier is excited for the film festival.

“I want to be an interpreter, so this is my first real taste of what my job will be like,” Cormier said. “I’m nervous, but also very excited.”

The event takes place March 15-19. On the 15-17, the event will start at 5 p.m. On Saturday, March 18, there are screenings at 1 p.m., 4 p.m. and 7 p.m. On Sunday, March 19, there are screenings at 12 p.m., 3 p.m. and 5 p.m.

Every screening is located in the President’s Room in the Student Union, except for the screening of “El Club” (“The Club”) on Thursday, March 16, which is located in the Cane River Room. The event is free, and all are welcome to attend.