REVIEW | ‘Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3’

It’s been about six years since “Marvel vs. Capcom 3” was released on PS3 and Xbox
360. In all that time, Disney bought the licensing rights for Marvel comics, and all the games in the “Marvel vs. Capcom” series including “Marvel vs. Capcom 3” were removed from the Playstation Store.

Now, we have a new “Marvel vs. Capcom” game in the works called Infinite, and the updated version, “Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3,” was released on the PS4, Xbox One, and for the first time on PC. Now it’s time to ask, “is this game worth your time and money?”

“Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3” is a team-based fighting game where you choose fighters from across Marvel comics and Capcom characters. There are a total of 50 characters like Spider-Man, Captain America, Chun-Li and Frank West just to name a few. You choose three characters and duke it out in fights that are extremely fast and complex.

The controls are simplified with four attack buttons and two assist buttons. Do not let this fool you into thinking it’s easy; the game itself is very complex. There’s a ton of mechanics to learn for each character, and it’s easy to find simple combo potential just by playing around for a few hours. But there’s a lot to learn if you make that jump into really getting good at playing “UMvC3.” There’s a lot of people who really know how the game works and are able to down one of my characters in one combo.

One of the quotes in the community of this game is that “you get hit once, you’re dead.” When I play online, that statement is very true. The netplay itself is fine, but I was amazed at how good some people can be at the game. The community of the game is huge and, from what I’ve experienced, is very nice and willing to teach others how to improve at the game. Most likely, you’ll come across a salty player or an angry one, but for the most part, I did have fun with the online component of the game.

In regards to single-player content, there isn’t much to offer. You have a standard arcade mode where you go through six fights and fight the boss to get a three-panel ending; mission mode where you perform different types of combos with all the characters; and Heroes and Heralds where you choose to save or destroy the earth and customize your teams with cards that boost your stats. It was a mode that didn’t appeal to me, especially since I was bored with it in the first few minutes. I’m also disappointed that the game lacks a proper tutorial mode. I had to figure out how to play the game by myself, which didn’t take too long but did bother me.

However, I still recommend “Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3” as a game to play with your friends more than a full experience. It’s still a fun game to sit down and play as your favorite superheroes from Marvel and fighters from Capcom. I am still looking forward to “Marvel vs Capcom Infinite” and putting more hours in this game as I beat all my friends with flashy and stylish combos.