Through the conservative looking glass

Photo by Creative Commons

THE ANGRY CONSERVATIVE
Student Submission

What does it look like to be a pro-life conservative? Rallies in protest of what the Left believes? That’s what some people want you to think, but that’s not true.

Pro-life goes, or should go, deeper than anti-abortion rallies. In contrast to what a lot of my fellow Conservatives believe, our job as pro-life people does not end at birth because the mother did not abort. That is actually where our job starts.

What if I told you that being pro-life is a lifelong commitment insuring the needs of others are met? Pro-life is deep. Break it down. Pro: Adverb, in favor of. Pro: Noun, an advantage of something or an argument in favor of a course of action. Life: Noun, the existence of an individual human being or animal.

Therefore, pro-life means, by definition, in favor of the existence of an individual human being. Womb to tomb service. True pro-life action has many forms–donating blood, volunteering, serving the homeless, advocacy with CASA, mentoring youth, being a part of the local volunteer EMS, etc.

Now, here, my fellow Demons (and whoever else reads this) is where I get barred from every Republican meeting. What if I told you that black lives really do matter and that it’s more than an anti-authoritarian movement? What if I told you loving your neighbor meant also loving your trans, homo, Mexican and Muslim neighbor and not just loving your white Judeo-Christian? Yikes, I just blew the minds of modern Republicans.

I’m saying this because it needs to be said. Now, you can love someone and disagree with their ideas, beliefs and lifestyles. To quote Phil Robertson, “Our culture has accepted two huge lies. The first is that if you disagree with someone’s lifestyle you must fear or hate them. The second is that to love someone means you agree with everything they believe or do. Both are nonsense. You don’t have to compromise convictions to be compassionate.”

I mentioned the BLM Movement, and I want to talk about it before I close. It’s more than what Fox News is pumping out. It came into existence in the beginning as a second Civil Rights Movement. Their agenda to bring to light the modern plight of their community has been twisted and contorted by outsiders and no-good insiders until it has become an enemy to the right.

I also mentioned loving your Muslim neighbor, and since my Republican career is now dead, I might as well seal the coffin and bury it, right? Right. I will say this one time and one time only, and I quite frankly don’t care who it offends: If you can tell the difference between the KKK and your local pastor but not between ISIS and the Muslim couple you see at Walmart, you are the problem with this country.

I could keep going on about what it looks like, where we should stand on healthcare and immigration and so forth, but I’ve said a mouthful for now. America is a land of immigrants and ethnic groups. Just as the Left Wing and Right Wing make up the same great eagle that represents America, so do many colors make up the Red White and Blue.