FPSF: local artistry

Photo credit: Submitted by No Big Deal PR

The Free Press Summer Festival in Houston, Texas, has grown from 30,000 attendees to sold-out crowds of more than 90,000 as it comes into its ninth year. This year’s festival takes place June 3-4 at Eleanor Tinsley Park combining music, art and food and strives to be a more environmentally friendly experience than your typical festival.

FPSF was founded in 2009 by Free Press Houston, a monthly newspaper “[not just] about arts and music but rather a newspaper put out by artists and musicians.” The festival strives to please lovers of all music genres from electronic to alternative.

Past headliners have included artists from various music genres: The Flaming Lips, Weezer, Chance the Rapper and Skrillex, to name a few. This year’s big names include Lorde, Flume, Cage the Elephant and Lil Uzi Vert.

NSU nursing student Ashlee Mitchell said she is more than excited to attend FPSF for the first time and see artists like Post Malone, Anna Lunoe and Flume.

“This will be my first [music and arts] festival,” Mitchell said. “I actually won tickets from a contest that [FPSF] was having on Instagram!”

Mitchell said she won the tickets by entering the daily giveaway contest FPSF is holding during the month of May on Instagram and Twitter. She posted a photo of herself and a previous teacher using the themed hashtag for that day, #teachersday. FPSF then contacted her to tell her she was the winner of two free general admission tickets.

While Free Press Houston no longer owns or operates the festival, its current owner, C3, still keeps local artists at FPSF’s core. C3 is known for festivals such as Voodoo Music + Arts Experience, Lollapalooza and Austin City Limits.

Night Drive, a duo from Austin, Texas, is just one of the local groups that will perform at the festival. Members Rodney Connell and Brandon Duhon produce a synth-pop sound they say is “inspired by sci-fi cinematic landscapes.”

Night Drive will release their debut album on June 16, an 11-track self-titled record including new single “Rise and Fall.”