CAPA faculty to showcase talent next Tuesday

The School of Creative and Performing Arts is known for its talented students at Northwestern State, but the NSU Faculty Showcase seeks to display the diverse talents of the faculty members with a concert and art gallery.

Instructor of Oboe Leah Forsyth is head of the committee that organizes the event. She said the showcase covers a wide variety of the arts and there will be something everyone will be able to enjoy.

Forsyth said the concert features everything from musical theater to opera arias to baroque music on instruments from that time period and lots in between. One piece features snare drum and an accompanying dancer.

“It’s a little bit different every year depending on who’s interested and who’s available,” Forsyth said.

The recital is scheduled for Sept. 19 at 7:30 p.m. in Magale Recital Hall. Doors will open at 7 p.m.

In addition to the concert, Orville J. Hanchey Gallery will be open for guests to observe faculty artwork. This exhibit will remain open until Sept. 29.

Associate Professor of Art Leslie Gruesbeck serves as the gallery coordinator and decides where pieces are set up for the showcase, trying to “tell a visual story” to viewers.

This year, thirty pieces of art by nine faculty artists will be featured in the exhibit.

“It’s what we do – create visual art,” Gruesbeck said. “It’s kind of a thing we must do. Each year, this exhibition showcases our latest works.”

Similar to the concert, the exhibit shows variety including sculpture, film, graphic design, fiber art, painting and photography.

“The exhibit is fun because it gives the audience an overview of what each one of the faculty members is working on,” Gruesbeck said.

Questions about the show or gallery can be directed to the CAPA office at 318-357-4522.