New CAPA talent takes center stage

Seeing the new blood in the theatre department perform their first show is something a select amount of people take for granted. New Faces is a custom every fall semester at NSU that I personally think more people should attend. You never know when the person who was on stage for a minute may appear in a show or movie you go to see in the next 10 or 20 years.

When it comes to New Faces, it’s a very simple show. Its goal is to showcase the new talented performers and workers of the theatre department. Analyzing every performer’s piece would take quite a while, but as it stands, the new freshman of the department have a lot of talent and passion for what they do.

Variety plays a key role in this show. There was never a moment when I felt any two performances were repetitive. Each performance felt personal and showed the best of the actor, singer or dancer. I saw bold singers, funny actors, expressive dancers and an overall love for the stage.

I should also point out the students put this production together themselves. The opening and ending of the show must be scripted and choreographed from scratch.

Not only that, each student has a designated coach. It’s a group effort that always pays off in the final product. I always experience this firsthand when my fellow classmates cheer for self-expression or a performer reaches that “wow” moment in their piece.

If I had to pick my favorite performances, they would be the energetic Dance Duet and the Rick and Morty monologue. It’s one of my favorite TV shows, so I may be a bit biased, but it was well done and gave me a good laugh.

New Faces is one of the best shows the department puts out in the fall and I’m glad I went out to support it. Words on an article will never fully express how good New Faces is. It is a show you should experience for yourself.

If you didn’t get the chance to see the show, you missed out. But hey, there is always next year!