‘Where do we go?’

Americans rally in response to the rescission of Deferred Action For Childhood Arrivals in New York City on Sept. 9. Photo credit: Rhododendrites

On Sept. 5, President Donald Trump made good on his promise to mark the beginning of the end to the Obama-era executive order Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals.

The order, which assists children of undocumented immigrants, was first met with hostilities from Republican members of Congress when then-President Obama signed the order in 2012.

Why is this topic so controversial? What do our fellow NSU students feel about its implications?

Keep in mind that these DREAMers did not choose to come to the U.S.; rather, it was their parents who made the decision for them.

While the portion of students I interviewed had only recently heard of DACA, each held somewhat similar views about the DREAMers.

Sophomore Austin Dodson said while he is weary of illegal immigration, he has no issue with those who came to the country legally.

Another student, freshman Shari Wilson, believes Trump is xenophobic and privileged. She expressed that DACA must be improved and that we need to assure children affected are taken care of.

Freshman Jordan Mulsow agreed DACA could be improved and additionally said Trump is simply “playing to his base.”

Brittney Blechl, a junior, said that behind the fear mongering by the current president is racism. She also has a simple question we should all consider: “What if it was our children?”

Many believe the actions of the Trump administration are harmful and dangerous, but are they? His actions have brought many in this country together to discuss a topic that is long overdue.

Republicans and Democrats are right in the firing lane of this debate. This is not a conservative issue or a liberal issue; this is an American issue. Congress must take action soon, and while the Republicans are in control as the majority party, they may not be too eager to risk losing their seats over this debate.

As it turns out, President Trump recently rolled back on his promise to end DACA; Sept. 13, he met with top Democratic leaders in what appeared to be an effort to negotiate.

The president has a duty to abide by the principles that have always made us a beacon for freedom. Now that Congress has a chance to review DACA, it is possible that it may indeed become law.

Trump’s manner in dealing with the order is rightfully troubling. Instead of presenting a more hopeful message, he led many DREAMers to fear they would be targeted for deportation. I ask that you take a moment to think about what it would be like to be deported from friends and the only home you have ever known.

As college students, we are surrounded by many different people with many different views. While we should feel free to express our views openly, we should do so in an understanding and thoughtful manner.