Off-campus cottage disappoints

The former College Inn across from the Sam Sibley Drive entrance to NSU has been renovated into another option for off-campus housing.

Freshman business administration major Robert Rice moved into an apartment at the new Cottage at Cane River because on-campus housing options were full. Though he is pleased to live so close to campus, he said his apartment is not worth the $550 price point.

“This place certainly doesn’t hold up to its upscale-living claims,” he said.

Rice said his apartment was not completed until Aug. 24, three days after classes started.

Owner Michael Klein refused to answer questions over the phone and did not respond to interview requests via email.

There are three different choices for apartment sizes available; two of these are single person, and the largest apartment can accommodate one or two beds. All come with desks.

Similar to residents of Varnado Hall, cottage tenants have noticed a lack of amenities upon move-in.

“We don’t have a pool; we have a hole where a pool could be,” Rice said.

The website for the apartment complex says, “our clubhouse and pool are a great place for residents to relax, exercise, or prepare a gourmet meal,” implying these amenities are currently available to residents.

According to residents, the building did not have water for a week, and the washing machine has locked people’s clothes into it.

The security of the complex is also questionable to some residents. Some students did not have door locks until October.

“Despite repeated requests, they did not put a lock on my door until Sunday [Oct. 8]… That means I [had] been living with no lock and no sense of security even after I notified and asked them about it frequently,” Rice said.

“They messed my lock up, and now I can’t lock my top lock,” resident Chante’ Green said. “At least every few days my key won’t work, so I have to either leave my door open or put tissue under the door itself.”

Rice said when he moved into his apartment, bugs were everywhere; though he was told poison would be sprayed, he purchased his own.

“The people that waited for them to do it would get their rooms sprayed two or three weeks later,” he said.

For more information, visit cottagensu.com or call 318-352-4426.