I cannot offer my support to the president

A year ago on Nov. 8, I found myself in my apartment scared for the future as I watched the presidential election results file in. That said, my current opinion has not changed but has developed over the past year.

I do not support the current presidential administration.

There is no way that I can cover every single thing that has happened in the past year since Trump was voted by the Electoral College to be the 45th president, but the following is my attempt to offer evidence as to why I still do not support President Trump.

I cannot support an administration that appears to lack organization and lack consistency across all aspects of the administration, already in the fourth quarter of the first year of Trump’s presidency.

I cannot support the statement that tweets are to be “considered official statements by the President of the United States.” (How do gifs fall into that category?) Yet, others within the administration such as Trump’s national security advisor Sebastian Gorka said the opposite.

“It’s not policy, it’s not an executive order. It’s social media,” Gorka said in a June interview with CNN.

I cannot support an administration that continues to destroy our planet subversively through the Environmental Protection Agency with orders by the president such as Executive Order 13783, made March 31, which removes regulations on fracking, for example. The organization itself is headed by Trump-appointee Administrator Scott Pruitt, a man who has a limited background in science and who, as administrator, has recused himself from lawsuits he brought against the EPA when he served as an Attorney General for the state of Oklahoma.

I cannot support an administration that incites violence against media and against women yet does not denounce the violence of neo-Nazis and white supremacists of the August events in Charlottesville, Virginia, saying they have some “very fine people” on their side.

Trump has issued statements such as “We must remember this truth: No matter our color, creed, religion or political party, we are all Americans first.” The president then contradicts himself time and time again with examples such as the “Muslim Ban” and failing to label the Oct. 1 Last Vegas shooter as an act of domestic terrorism – in my opinion, partially due to the color of Paddock’s skin. He is quick to label those with a different color skin as evil or assume they are illegal foreigners.

I cannot support an administration that does not help its citizens. Puerto Ricans – who are American citizens – are still without power and drinking water due to Hurricane Maria, which made landfall on the island Sept. 20. Trump seemed to suggest the blame is to be placed on the Puerto Ricans for the “broken infrastructure & massive debt.”

Maybe we could do more to help citizens that are still suffering over a month later instead of building a border wall using taxpayer money, increasing the military spending budget and continually using Hillary Clinton as a diversionary tactic.

What I do support is the spark that has brought so many to their feet. It is easy to become desensitized to the news we hear everyday – shootings, the possibility of nuclear war, terrorist attacks. It is an unending cycle of frustration.

Do not sit back down.