Local cafe keeps students in mind

FELIX GALVAN
BOBBIE JANE
Contributing Writers
Contributions by Jordan Reich

Front Street Marketplace, a coffee shop located on Front Street in downtown Natchitoches, offers a variety of gourmet coffee beverages and meals with some geared toward college students.

“One night a week, we offer a really low-priced, all-you-can-eat spaghetti meal, to give college students an option to have something inexpensive to eat,” said Erin Austin, a barista.

Angela Dawson, owner and operator, explained that the idea for the spaghetti night started as a business practice.

“[It] was a way to bring in extra business during our not-so-busy times,” she said.

Dawson also emphasized that the shop is a family business and friendly atmosphere to enjoy sandwiches, baked goods, coffee and spaghetti.

“Our kids and family and friends all pitch in when needed,” she said. “We enjoy [the shop] so much and love seeing our regular customers each week.”

Sophomore Jacob Ellis is a frequent customer at the local eatery and highly recommends the eggnog latte.

“I like the variety of fresh food and drinks offered at Front Street Marketplace,” he said. “I also really enjoy the all-you-can-eat spaghetti on Monday evenings.”

The marketplace differs from the NSU campus coffee shop Café DeMon because they use Plantation Gourmet Coffee, a nearby roasting company in Mooringsport, Louisiana.

“We order very small batches once a week,” Austin said. “On Monday, we order coffee [beans]. On Tuesday, they roast our coffee beans, and on Wednesday, they send us our coffee beans [again].”

PGC grows their products pesticide and chemical-free, following regulations by the United States Department of Agriculture. According to PGC, the company uses a slow roasting process to “develop the magical taste, flavor and aroma.”

Front Street Marketplace is located at 584 Front St., offers student discounts and hosts a spaghetti night every Monday from 5-9 p.m.