Ellis, Wilson elected to top SGA positions

Jacob Ellis and Cherish Wilson have been elected Student Government Association president and vice president, respectively, for the 2018-2019 school year. Both ran uncontested, making this the fourth consecutive year for the president and vice president to be elected without a student body vote.

SGA advisor Shayne Creppel said behind-the-scenes talks between potential candidates usually narrow the options by election time.

“Those who want to run always seem to back out at the last minute,” he said. “It’s like people don’t want to take the chance to lose an election anymore.”

Despite the lack in interest to run, Creppel said NSU has been “lucky” to have the SGA leadership its had in recent years. He has heard from students that a fear of public speaking and debating is a contributing factor to the low number of applicants.

“I’ve yet to be worried about the students who end up in these positions,” he said, adding that he hopes for there to be more options in future elections. “I think it adds more excitement to spring elections and allows students to be more engaged in the democratic process.”

For remaining positions, elections open April 17 at 8 a.m. for a 24-hour period. The link to vote will be emailed to students.

Thomas Celles and Tyler Wright are running for treasurer.

The following students will be narrowed down to fill 25 senator-at-large positions: Sydney Anderson, Lorence Ballow, Antanae Baylock, Robyn Beatty, Zachary Breaux, Triston Bussell, Michael Canal, Korey Cleveland, Cam Coleman, Elizabeth Coleman, Brandon Fredieu, Justin Guillory, Jacob Hammons, Nicholas Hopkins, Emilee Leger, Luis Ortiz, Hayden Pilcher, Keator Poleman, Kristen Prejean, Bayli Quick, Korey Rachal, Caleb Rhodes, Phynecha Richard, Alexia Rubin, Lara Schales, Tori Spraggins, Joseph Tappel, Ieshia Thomas, Trinity Velazquez and Leanna Wills.

The Student Activities Board will also elect 12 students to be event coordinators for the next school year. The following names appeared on the ballot released yesterday: Chloe’ Anderson, Tarik Andrus, MarQuan Culbert, Kennedy Cullen, Jada Dudley, Logan Esthay, Ty’Kiera Fikes, Camren Green, Devon Hill, Qualantre Jackson, Zachary Linville, Caelon Powells, Chloe Rouleau, Jamien Sampson, Courney South, Tore’a Taylor, Tasia Traylor, Christy Washington and Kalyn Wiggins.