Yearbooks to be available in coming weeks

The 108th volume of Potpourri, NSU’s official yearbook, will be available to students near the end of April. Each student can claim a copy of the book at no additional charge; the cost is included in student fees.

Potpourri Editor-in-Chief Kierstin Richter says the new book doesn’t have a theme, like some in years past, but rather more of a cohesive retro design.

“It makes me think of rollerskating and going to a 70s disco,” Richter says of the design.

Armed with the power to choose the articles she wrote, Richter says she was sarcastic and satirical at times and generally poked fun at college.

“I wanted to put something at the beginning of the book like, ‘If you’re too hungover to remember your college years, then here’s a yearbook for you to remember it,'” she laughs. “Then I figured the department probably wouldn’t like that.”

The psychology major admits the long-term process of creating a yearbook is strenuous, because it’s difficult to keep motivation high when the finish line seems so distant. Richter had not helped create her high school yearbook, so overseeing the process in its entirety was a new experience.

Participating in the highest capacity, she says, taught her valuable skills leading a staff and occasionally discovering some personalities “just don’t mesh.”

“I’ve learned how to keep the peace between people, which will be good because I want to go into counseling,” she says. “I’ve really enjoyed being a part of a team and … creating something bigger than myself.”

Richter tried something different from editors in previous years: she assigned most stories at the beginning of the fall semester, only leaving unassigned the things that had to be done in the spring.

“I think that was a little bit overwhelming for some of the staff,” Richter says. “Some of them thought it was a whole lot, then others though it wasn’t enough.”

Potpourri took matters into its own hands sometimes, Richter says, when organizations ignored their messages and grabbed photos from social media.

“They may look at [the book] and be like, ‘What the heck?,'” she says. “I’m waiting to see the reaction on that.”