NSU alumna to compete for Miss America

Standing onstage in Monroe, Louisiana, on June 23, hand-in-hand with her fellow competitor, Holli’ Conway’s life changed forever. As they called her name as the new Miss Louisiana, Holli took the first steps that would lead her on her way to Atlantic City, New Jersey, to compete for Miss America.

Conway is Northwestern State University alumna with a degree in Musical Theatre. While a student at NSU, Holli was the talent at the Miss Northwestern Lady of the Bracelet pageant when she was first approached to do a pageant.

Conway left for her two-week journey at Miss America Aug. 28, at 6 a.m. she told the News Star that she plans on bringing the Miss America crown home to Louisiana for the first time in the pageant’s history.

“[In] everything I do, I want to give my all and be the best that I can possible be,” Conway said. “I don’t go in expecting anything less than the best of myself, and I want everyone to have that mindset. It’s OK to go in and say ‘I want to win.”

“There’s no doubt that Holli’ can handle anything and everything that Miss America throws at her. She is a beautiful and brilliant young lady with challenging goals for the future,” said Dewana Little, executive director of the Miss Louisiana Organization. “We are excited to see what the future holds for Holli’. She will certainly make the state of Louisiana proud in Atlantic City.”

Conway’s contention has generated near-universal excitement.

“There’s just something about her that she’s had even when we were kids,” said Jamarius Williams, an NSU alumnus and lifelong friend of Conway’s. “She’s confident in who she is, she’s an athlete, she has beauty, strength and passion. A fraction of these qualities in anyone would win the pageant and Holli’ has them all.”

“If in destiny there is a Miss Louisiana who will become Miss America, I’m confident it will be Holli’.”

The Current Sauce had a minute to talk with Miss Louisiana’s Outstanding Teen, Gracie Reichman. Reichman serves alongside Holli this year as her sister queen.

“Holli’s positive personality has the ability to touch and impact every person she has come into contact with,” Reichman said. “That is why she is the embodiment of the perfect Miss Louisiana and even Miss America.”

The Miss America competition broadcasts live on Sept. 9 (8:00-10:00 p.m. CST) on ABC.

Conway will be making a special appearance at the Creole Heritage Center’s 20th Anniversary Celebration next week, which lasts from Sept. 13 – 15.