A.A. Fredericks begins fall renovations

A.A. Fredericks begins fall renovations

Students and patrons hoping to attend the 2019 Christmas Gala in the A.A. Fredericks auditorium will have to wait a year before they can see the event in the historic theatre.  NSU’s School of Creative and Performing Arts has begun to update the theatre after a year of planning and negotiations.

The updates will take place as two projects, Scott Burrell, director of the school of Creative and Performing Arts, said. A.A. Fredericks lobby and the auditorium are the two main focuses of the renovations.

According to Burrell, the lobby’s “facelift” will be more inviting to patrons. The auditorium will likewise provide the audience with a better atmosphere in which to celebrate the performances.

“The idea is to bring the auditorium back to its ‘deco’ charm,” Burrell said. “For the lobby, this will include a color palette reminiscent of the period as well as two period-style chandeliers.”

He hopes the updates will let the performers feel a sense of pride and professionalism.

“We are very appreciative to all the members of the administration who had a hand in accessing funds for this much needed renovation,” Greg Handel, provost and vice president of academic affairs, said.

The proposals were made in the spring and funding was finalized in August, and completion of the project is expected at the start of the spring semester.

Handel said the school wants to emphasize the features original to the building. Renovations will include restoring the lobby’s terrazzo floor, refurbishing and updating auditorium lighting with LED bulbs, updating the carpet and emphasizing design aspects on the walls.

Handel said he whole project is expected to cost about $200,000. If additional money is allocated, Handel said the school hopes to replace the seating and get a new stage curtain.

Je’Breanne Morgan, senior theater major, said she cannot wait to work in the new space.

She said she hopes the renovations will pique people’s interest in theatre and bring in more patrons.

“I hope that we have a safe, updated facility for all future performances,” Morgan said.

Hannah Bradley, senior theater major and Scholars’ College student, said she is excited about the updates at the auditorium.

She said CAPA has had issues with hosting events and painting a safe environment in A.A. Fredericks.

Bradley said she is sad to not have the theatre for her senior Gala and New Faces moments but is happy future students will have an updated theater.

“I think that, because I know it is such a big part of our family, I am excited for it to be a better space for the next part of our family,” Bradley said.