NIL serves student athletes in Louisiana and NSU

Chris Reich

Name, Image and Likeness gives student athletes the ability to receive compensation for their athletic work in college.

On July 1, 2021, the National Collegiate Athletic Association created an interim policy that grants student athletes the ability to use their name, image and likeness for compensation while enrolled in a postsecondary education. This breakthrough comes after the constant debate if student athletes are still amateurs and deserve compensation for their brand.

“This is an important day for college athletes since they all are now able to take advantage of name, image and likeness opportunities,” NCAA President Mark Emmert said. “With the variety of state laws adopted across the country, we will continue to work with Congress to develop a solution that will provide clarity on a national level.”

In the past, NCAA student athletes relied solely on institutionalized funds like stipends and scholarships for compensation towards school tuition and beyond.

Those student athletes weren’t able to receive the same endorsement deals as professional athletes. Now, student athletes all over the country can earn paid endorsements from different companies thanks to NIL.

Louisiana Gov. John Bel Edwards signed bill SB60 which states that Louisiana “provides relative to the compensation of intercollegiate athletes for the use of their name, image or likeness.”

“This is a critical and historic moment for athletes in Louisiana,” Gov. John Bel Edwards said. “It is only fitting that college athletes be able to benefit financially from their hard work and to have more control over their personal likenesses. It’s beyond time for this law, and I am excited for the opportunities it will open for Louisiana’s talented athletes.”

In Northwestern State University of Louisiana’s policy, name, image and likeness is defined as “an initiative to allow a student-athlete the opportunity to benefit from the use of their NIL in ways that are consistent with the recommendations by the NCAA Name, Image and Likeness Legislative Solutions Group.”

“Implementation of an NIL initiative across college athletics has been on the horizon for quite some time,” NSU’s Director of Athletics Greg Burke said.

For the full NIL policy at NSU, click here.