NSU’s homecoming events will rock you

Brianna Corley

Members of Delta Sigma Theta prepare to create their 2021 homecoming banner.

Northwestern State University of Louisiana students do not have to be homecoming royalty in order to participate in the festivities. Students can be a part of an organization or simply spectate the events.

Organizations form committees that oversee the different aspects responsible for shaping the homecoming experience such as the banner, lip sync and parade float contests.

Alexandria Walker, junior psychology and music major, was excited to show her creative expression as a participant in the banner contest.

Walker noted the sense of camaraderie that comes with being a participant in homecoming events.

“It’s really an honor just to be a part of it,” Walker said.

Haley Wiggins, freshman communications major, feels that participating in the homecoming planning committees gives her a sense of inclusion.

“Being a part of homecoming makes me feel included and I feel like I have a bit of purpose,” said Wiggins.

There is more that goes on behind the scenes of homecoming events than meets the eye.

According to Blakely Canfield, senior biomedical engineering major and University Programming Council homecoming manager, the UPC has been planning homecoming since the spring of 2021.

Between contacting and working with judges, vendors and other organizations, Canfield noted there are many small details involved in the organization process.

“As NSU students we know what students want to see,” Canfield said. “UPC hopes by getting input from the students we will have a homecoming that is enjoyable to all.”

Mekayala Jenkins, senior communications major, is excited to experience homecoming as part of the homecoming court.

Jenkins believes that the events enhance the student experience through tradition and allows students to connect as an NSU family.

“Homecoming at NSU is special as students get to directly contribute to the events. Students choose the theme, and it’s awesome to see how that theme comes to life,” said Jenkins.

Jenkins feels that homecoming reminds her of where she became the person that she is.

Submerge yourself in demon pride and be a part of a special tradition. Here’s a run-down of the homecoming week schedule and how you can be a part of the festivities.

On Thursday, Oct. 21, 2021, the National Pan-Hellenic Council Fraternities and Sororities will perform an informational step-show that will celebrate the dedication of Seven Oaks Stage at Iberville Green. Seven Oaks is named after the first seven Black students who attended NSU.

Experience the homecoming parade and pep rally by entering the “Highway to Hell” on Oct. 22, 2021 at 5:30 p.m. The Northwestern State University of Louisiana website states, “the parade will leave the NSU campus from the main gate and proceed along Second Street, take a right at Rue Touline and proceed down Rue Beauport to the Fleur de Lis Stage on Natchitoches’s downtown riverbank where a pep rally will take place.”

And to finalize a week of activities is the homecoming game on Oct. 23, 2021, starting at 3 p.m. in Harry Turpin Stadium. At 5 p.m. the homecoming awards will be presented.