Kevin Bostian chosen as NSU’s director of athletics

UNCG Athletics

Kevin Bostian was the executive associate athletic director for development at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro for roughly two years.

On Tuesday, Jan. 18, Northwestern State University of Louisiana announced Kevin Bostian will be the new director of athletics. Bostian starts on Feb. 7 and will take over for longtime Athletic Director Greg Burke, who stepped down from the position in November of 2021.

Bostian was the executive associate athletic director for development at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro for roughly two years. His extensive resume includes overseeing the UNCG athletics ticketing, marketing and promotions and athletics communications offices and acting as the sports administrator for the UNCG men’s basketball team, which won the Southern Conference regular season and tournament championships and reached the National Collegiate Athletic Association’s March Madness Tournament.

In addition to his role in the external operations department, Bostian served as the interim athletic director at UNCG from September 2021 through earlier this month. The hire is subject to approval of the Board of Supervisors of the University of Louisiana System as it governs Northwestern State.

“My family and I are excited to be starting our next chapter at Northwestern State,” Bostian said. “I look forward to working with our student athletes, coaches and staff and the community of Natchitoches to support our student athletes in their academic pursuits while winning conference championships and giving back to the community.”

NSU President Marcus Jones said Bostian has a steadfast commitment to student athletes and their accomplishments on and off the field, and Northwestern alumni, faculty and staff and other stakeholders will appreciate his genuineness, enthusiasm and spirit of collaboration.

“We are elated that Kevin will be joining the university as athletic director,” Jones said. “He has impressive credentials and extensive experience in college athletics that will assist him in re-energizing NSU’s intercollegiate sports program and guiding it to new levels of success.”

Before coming to UNCG, Bostian was a major gifts officer at his alma mater, North Carolina State and secured nearly $2.5 million in gifts in his 25 months with The Wolfpack Club.

“Northwestern State University has hired an exceptional person in Kevin Bostian,” Kyle Bowlsby, founder of Bowlsby Sports Advisors which coordinated the search for NSU, said. “He is a transformational leader who will maximize the student-athlete experience and position the athletic department for long-term success. Kevin rose quickly on our list of potential candidates as someone who is passionate and driven to make his mark on the intercollegiate athletics landscape.”

Bostian has no ties to NSU or Natchitoches, leaving NSU students eager for what’s next in athletics.

“It will be interesting to see what he changes and what he keeps from North Carolina schools,” Caroline Bland, senior communications major, said.