Volunteers gather to participate in the Natchitoches first community mural

Valentina Herazo Alvarez

Northwestern State University graduate student, Edgar Cano says his inspiration for the mural was drawn from the history, environment and community of Natchitoches.

The Legacy Garden welcomes the students of Northwestern State University of Louisiana and the community of Natchitoches to assist with painting the first community mural, “Planting Seeds of Hope.”

Edgar Cano, a master’s in art graduate at NSU, designed the mural.

Cano said his inspiration was drawn from the history, environment and community of Natchitoches.

“This isn’t a personal mural, it is a community mural,” Cano said. “I commissioned myself to draw the first sparks to become collective.”

The Garden and Nutrition Coordinator, Bridget Gustafson said organizations such as the Good Food Project and the Ben Johnson Educational Center contributed to the project.

Throughout the month of February, on Fridays and Saturdays volunteers had the opportunity to paint the mural.

Members of Helping Hands, a student orginzation at NSU, Breiana Aplerku, a sophomore nursing major, and Tahirah Forte, a sophomore communication major, were in attendance.

“We came out to give back to Natchitoches, and help with the mural,” Aplerku said.

“It’s an experience in painting,” Forte said. “ It also gives a brighter side of Natchitoches during Black History Month.”