“Godspell” is a must-watch and inclusive show

Godspell Poster Image

Northwestern State University of Louisiana’s Theatre and Dance Department performed their first showing of Michael Tebelak’s “Godspell” on Sept. 21, 2022.

The show is held at Theatre West in the A.A. Frederick’s Fine Arts building and the audience is immediately drawn to the dramatic set and colorful lighting. The performers stay involved with their audience from the beginning, making it very personal and intriguing.

Josie Oliva, a senior musical theater major, plays Uzo in “Godspell.”

“The ending of the play was my favorite part. It’s very emotional and intense, and even though it’s sad, I still really enjoyed it,” Oliva said. She uses her emotions from the script to embody her character and upgrade her performance.

Khuyen Tran, a sophomore theater major who plays Anna Marie in “Godspell,” sings a song titled “Day by Day.” This song uses both sign language and audible singing, creating an inclusive environment for individuals who are hard of hearing and deaf.

“In NSU’s ‘Godspell,’ the love comes genuinely from the cast and crew themselves. They all truly support and look after one another which is shared to the audience throughout the show,” Tran said.

Leslie Israel, a sophomore performing art and theater major, plays Lindsay in “Godspell.”

“In my opinion, this show is a breath of fresh air. This story is healing and is full of love! You see Jesus in a different light, and you feel like you really get to know the characters,” Israel said. The individual personalities of each character are memorable to the audience.

Damari Padilla, a sophomore theater major, plays Nick in “Godspell” and encourages students to attend the play to witness the cast’s singing ability.

“I believe NSU’s version of Godspell is special because our director, Pia Wyatt, made it clear from the beginning that this show is about love. All the love we are spreading was more than real,” Padilla said.

The show will continue on Sept. 28 and span until Oct. 1, 2022, with all shows beginning at 7:30 p.m.

Tickets are available on Eventbrite at nsula.edu/Godspell, or by contacting (318) 357-4483 or [email protected]. Tickets are $15 and $12 for senior citizens. NSU, BPCC@NSU and Louisiana School for Math, Science, and the Arts students are admitted free with a current student I.D., but due to limited seating, reservations are encouraged and can be emailed to Yolanda Briton.