NSU students react to President Biden’s student relief debt plan

Matthew Carter

According to the Biden-Harris Administration, the online application is open at studentaid.gov

President Joe Biden announced that college students in the U.S. would have their debt relieved this year. The amount and who will receive relief have been highly debated at Northwestern State University of Louisiana.
Trice Shavon, a freshman psychology major, believes there must be some small print that everyone has yet been able to see.
“I feel it will be a selected few who will receive it and some of us, if not all, still will have to pay the same amount,” Shavon said.
Kasey Moore, a senior biology and applied microbiology major, hopes to see the help that the debt relief plan promises to provide.
“It’s going to help people who get trapped never even touching their principal loans, and for some of us it will barely put a dent in what’s owed,” Moore said.
Students are pleased about the help, however, there are some drawbacks as well.
MaKayla Draper, a senior social work major, feels that debt relief is a great idea.
“I’m disappointed it took so long to get it approved and it’s still not the full amount that Biden promised,” Draper said. “If they can pay off all these business loans or wipe them away we should be helping our citizens and getting rid of a good amount of the student loans for people so that our economy can grow and thrive with the money that’s being wasted on loans.”
Bo Bell, senior biology major, is not too happy about the idea.
“I think it is great that the government is forgiving it, but that’s like putting a band-aid on a bullet hole,” Bell said.
Bell has concerns for those who did not receive loans.
“It helps the people who took out loans this time but people who didn’t take out loans and strained their families to avoid debt are kinda getting shafted,” Bell said. “I think there should be some sort of additional funding going towards the scholarships and grants to help avoid going into debt in the first place.”
Kristie Stewart, sophomore nursing major, is trying to put a positive spin on things.
“At least I am getting something for the thousands I pay in taxes,” Stewart said.
Jakhyia Honore, a sophomore social work major, wants more people included.
“I feel as if the only way for them to pass it is for them to include ‘everyone’ … and what I mean by everyone is students, people who still are paying debts and people who may not have finished school but still are paying on their debts owed to that school,” Honore said.