New coordinator in Black studies minor is eager to join NSU

Submitted by Jasmine Wise

Not only is Jasmine Wise helping individuals through her classes and business, but also through the direction and coordination of the Black Studies minor, which was only introduced to NSU’s curriculum in the Spring of 2022.

Arriving on campus at the start of this spring semester, the newest faculty member of Northwestern State University of Louisiana, Jasmine Wise, has caught the attention of many as the newest coordinator for the Black Studies minor. But there is more to our newest assistant professor than just her position.

Having earned her Doctorate in Applied Sociology from Texas’ Baylor University and been the assistant professor in the School of Social Sciences and Applied Programs, Wise explains who she is at her core.

“I love people. I love seeing people succeed.” Having a genuine love for humanity is certainly a trait to have as not only an assistant professor, but also as the owner of her very own business.

“I do own a business called Prosper Projects, and I help people become the best them,” Wise said regarding her methods in her approach to her clients.

“I help people on projects through goal setting and time management,” Wise said. “So, if anyone was to open up a new business, or write a book or whatever their idea is, I help them.”

On the Prosper Projects website, there is more information available to anyone interested in learning more about Wise as a business owner and lifestyle coach.

“I love to see my clients achieve their goals and light up,” Wise said.

Not only is Wise helping individuals through her classes and business, but also through the direction and coordination of the Black Studies minor, which was only introduced to NSU’s curriculum in the Spring of 2022.

“As the coordinator for the Black Studies minor, I get to help the university see that Black history is American history, in that we would not be where we are without Black people,” Wise said.

Wise emphasizes the importance of helping those around her and within her community.

“I’ve been gone for over 10 years. I lived in Texas, and I lived in Atlanta and now I’m back,” Wise said. “I am a native Louisianian. I love being back in the state and I love being around my people.”

As for her goals while here at NSU, she hopes to make an impact in her position.

“My goal for my time at NSU is to serve students well,” Wise said. “I get to help people see how we are all connected and how we need each other to grow and go forward.”

Not only does Wise show a genuine love for her students, but she also believes every student is different.

“That will look different for different students. For some, that means going to a soccer game, and for others that means having a conversation,” Wise said.

Wise mentions her position as coordinator of the new minor and how helping people be their best self is at the forefront of leading the Black Studies minor.

“I always tell people to make the choice that feels right today and go down that path as long as it takes you.”