Noisy construction: Students’ reaction to the new music on campus

Naomi Adams
Many eagerly anticipate the completion of construction, but it has only just begun.

Construction has begun at Northwestern State University of Louisiana at the site formerly occupied by Caddo Hall, which was recently demolished to make way for the new Robert Alost Hall. Despite the improvements for the campus, the construction activities create a disrupting noise, expected to last for the next 18 months. The construction site is next to Kyser Hall, where most classes are held on campus, where some students and faculty members feel that it is interrupting their learning.

Shae Wetzel, a junior biology major, expressed her frustration with the situation, saying, “Yes, it bothers me so much, especially trying to take exams or tests in Kyser. Sometimes it shakes the projectors when you’re trying to copy what the professor writes and everything.”
The construction work, known to be doing heavy duty work, has caused vibrations felt both within classrooms and by passersby. This not only disrupts the learning environment but also causes distractions that can drown out a professor trying to lecture.

Julian Peshoff, a sophomore musical education major, disclosed how her education has been affected by the construction noise, she said, “It’s really irritating when taking a listening exam because the noise has a pitch that throws off my focus. Personally, I can’t wait until it’s done.”
For students whose majors rely heavily on sound, loud noises are particularly bothersome. Many eagerly anticipate the completion of construction, but it has only just begun.

However, not all students are troubled by the noise, as some have grown accustomed to it. Denali Cobb, a senior psychology major, shared her perspective. “It doesn’t bother me. It reminds me of being in the marching band because it sounds like a metronome,” Cobb said. “I thought the band was outside practicing before I realized it was construction. I don’t hear it inside.”

From a personal standpoint, attending classes on the top floor of Kyser Hall has been a loud and disruptive experience. Professors have voiced their discontent, and peers have learned to ignore the noise to focus on lectures. Although, the repetitive nature of the construction noise makes it hard to miss.

No matter the disturbance caused by the construction noise, it is necessary to improve the campus environment. The demolition of Caddo Hall was needed due to the building’s long standing issues with black mold and disrepair. NSU is in need of a new educational facility, given that Kyser Hall lacks ADA compliance and rarely has both elevators operational.

While current students may not get to enjoy the benefits of the new buildings upon their completion, future students will hopefully enjoy handicapped-accessible, modern facilities.