Letter from the SAB President

FC Headshot
Photo submitted by Bralyn James

BRALYN JAMES
SAB President

You did it! You have graduated high school and are heading towards another major milestone in life: college!

I remember my freshman year like it was yesterday. Things will be a little different, but this is a time for new beginnings, so take advantage of it. Maybe you feel completely prepared for this transition, and maybe you don’t; either way, things will be just fine.

You will have many new responsibilities in college. Your parents won’t be there to help you with laundry, cook for you or remind you about your homework. Prioritizing, self-control and time management are keys to success. It’s definitely a balancing act, but don’t put too much pressure on yourself.

Go to class, get out of your comfort zone, and get involved! A lot will happen during your first semester, but if you get into a routine of things and put academics first, you will have the time of your life! Northwestern State has a lot of resources to ensure the best college experience; be sure to utilize them, especially the WRAC to avoid the “Freshman 15.”

There are so many events that happen during “Welcome Week,” or shall I say, “Welcome Month,” so try your best to attend as much as you can! Attending events is a great way to meet new people, make new friends and even find out about organizations you may want to join.

Don’t be afraid to approach someone new and start a conversation, because a lot of people are in your exact shoes. Be sure to surround yourself with good people who give off good energy!

My first semester, I joined the Student Activities Board, or “SAB” as it is most commonly called, and I can honestly say it was one of the best decisions I made my first year. I met some of my closest friends, and I don’t know where I would be if I hadn’t done it.

As an organization, we plan events for the campus such as homecoming week, casino night, spring fling, and many more. We are always looking for volunteers, so if this is something that seems interesting, feel free to reach out!

The next four years are going to be what you make of it. I know that four years may seem like an eternity, but trust me: it flies by, so do fun things, and try not to worry too much. Take as many pictures, videos and Snapchats as you want to remember it all!

Be sure to keep in touch with family back home, because life will still happen although you are not there. You may not have it all figured out yet; I didn’t, but I assure you that you eventually will. Good luck to you, and as always, fork ‘em, Demons!