CAPA showcases student, faculty, professional talent

Photo credit: Sean Mcgraw

“The fall calendar has something for everyone,” says Greg Handel, interim dean of the College of Arts and Sciences.

Highlights include countless faculty, student and guest performances on instruments such as piano, violin, clarinet and horn, the annual Faculty Showcase featuring Fine and Graphic Arts faculty work and the annual Christmas Makers’ Faire.

Sept. 2, the Spirit of Northwestern traveled to Louisiana Tech to perform at the football game and as usual will continue to perform at sporting events throughout the season. In addition to halftime shows, the band will travel to Mesquite, Texas, for an exhibition performance at Mesquite High School.

“The marching band is traveling to Louisiana Tech and Mesquite, Texas, for a high school marching exhibition,” Hope Spaw says. “I’ll get to attend the LMEA conference in Baton Rouge with the orchestra and wind symphony.”

Sept. 27-30, NSU Theatre will present “Stars of Tomorrow,” a traveling showcase of musical theatre performances starring CAPA students.

“I’m looking forward to touring with ‘Stars of Tomorrow,’” Fry says. “It’s such a fun show and a great cast. It’s going to be demanding but the payoff is huge.”

Nov. 3 is Journalism Day, better known as “J-Day.” This event is an opportunity for students to learn about the career opportunities available through journalism.

Nov. 5, NSU Theatre will present “Les Liaisons Dangereuses,” an adaptation of the classic play by Christopher Hampton recently featured on Broadway.

CAPA will also present the annual Christmas Gala which includes a performance at Shreveport’s historic Strand Theatre.

Junior musical theatre major Erika Jarlock is already anticipating the Gala rehearsals and performances.

“I’m excited to be busy again,” she says. “I wouldn’t trade back-to-back rehearsals for anything in the world. Being in a show is an exhilarating experience from beginning to end. I can’t wait to spend the rest of my life performing!”

According to Handel, CAPA now has live-streaming capabilities in Magale Recital Hall, but faculty are familiarizing themselves with copyright laws to avoid infractions before taking advantage of the new technology.

“We hope to continue to present high-quality events of artistic integrity,” Handel says.

All CAPA events are free to NSU, LSMSA and BPCC-NSU students with a valid student ID. For more information on events, visit capa.nsula.edu.