SGA Minutes | Campus improvements, initiatives to come

The Student Government Association, following the Leadership NSU conference this past weekend, is looking to the future of the university, both as an institution as a whole and aspects of the physical campus that can be worked on.

President Tre Nelson again spoke about the initiative to plant trees on campus, elaborating on one of the trail walks he took with Dr. Margaret Cochran.

“Dr. Cochran showed me a couple of areas that we can put a few trees and long-term, there’s a one- to three-year plan to bring back some of the old trees that used to be around campus,” he said.

SGA is additionally looking to “spruce up” the walkways by Chaplin’s Lake with trees and mile markers.

“[We want to] help keep people engaged,” Nelson said.

With that, Nelson delivered his report on other campus projects, including the courtyard in the Friedman Student Union. Alpha Lambda Delta, a first year honor society on campus, handles the upkeep of the courtyard.

“We’re going to have conversations with Alpha Lambda Delta just to see what we can do to make that courtyard more appealing,” Nelson said.

A dedication memorial is also in the works for students who have passed away during their time at NSU.

Nelson, speaking about his trip to Washington D.C. last week, said he met with almost all Louisiana legislators and will meet with campus administrators “to talk about the political agenda of the university.

“Going out there, my eyes were really opened at the fact that nobody is having the conversations about higher education but the people in higher education. So if we’re not having those conversations, who’s going to have them? Who’s going to look after us?

“That’s part of our representation of the student body. [It’s] making sure that we’re, as a whole, getting the most as a university and in turn, we’re able to give the most to our student body.”

Sen. Ty Wright also reported on campus initiatives to come, including Mental Health Awareness week planned for March 12-16. Events will include speakers and sessions at the WRAC such as yoga and meditation.

SGA meetings are held every Monday at 6 p.m. in Room 320 of the Student Union. Follow @thecurrentsauce on Twitter for live coverage of weekly meetings and updates on all things SGA.