SGA Minutes | School shootings, call for NSU website update

Two student bills were introduced to the senate, the first of which comes as a response to the Feb. 14 shooting in Florida.

SGA passed SB.SP.2018-02 which offers condolences to those in Parkland, Florida, affected by the shooting at Stoneman Douglas High School. Other school shootings across the country were also discussed, such as the March 2 shooting at Central Michigan University.

SGA will host a moderated debate in April on the topic of gun control; a date has not yet been set.

President Tre Nelson acknowledged the importance of talking about current issues at SGA and the need for discussion with the student body.

“I do think it’s important for our SGA to recognize whenever crises happen around the country,” he said.

SB.SP.2018-03 was additionally introduced to the floor; the bill “respectfully requests” that departments and colleges at NSU provide information about faculty and staff to be posted on the Northwestern State website, especially for prospective students interested in graduate school.

The bill asks for “the name, their photo, contact information, their degrees, research information and interests, and a short personal bio” of each faculty and staff member. The senate will vote on this bill March 12.