Athlete of the week: April Trowbridge

While it may take years for people to find their passion, it only took three years for April Trowbridge to figure out hers.

Trowbridge hails from Halifax, the provincial capital of Nova Scotia, Canada. She graduated from Halifax West High School, where she set a provincial record of 25 goals in 11 games during regular season play, and led her team to three provincial championships.

Upon graduating high school, she spent one year playing at Dalhousie University in Nova Scotia, where she also played on Nova Scotia’s team in the Canada Games, leading them to a fourth-place finish nationally. One of the youngest players at the senior women’s level in the Canadian National team program, she then decided to transfer to Northwestern State University.

Trowbridge made an immediate impact as soon as she started in Natchitoches, achieving Southland Conference Newcomer of the Year as a sophomore forward. She became a driving force behind the success of the soccer program, with her most memorable moment competing with the Lady Demons in the Southland Conference Tournament in 2016.

As far as the future goes, Trowbridge has her eyes set on another appearance in the Southland Conference tournament for the 2018 season. With a season record of 8-8, the Lady Demons are still in contention for tournament competition, which could lead to a coveted Conference Championship.

A senior majoring in Psychology, she plans on pursuing a graduate degree in Clinical Psychology, with the goal of working in military psychology.