Lady Demons basketball end their season: 57-65 loss to Texas A&M Commerce

Chris Reich
Lady Demons lose to Texas A&M Commerce’s Lions at the Soutland Conference tournament.

Northwestern State University of Louisiana Lady Demons basketball season ends with a record of 11-19 as the Demons fall in the first round, against the number 5 ranked Texas A&M Commerce Lions in a 57-65 heartbreaking loss.

As the Demons looked primed to take the lead in the third quarter following a 9-2 run cutting the lead to 41-40 with 10 minutes left in the quarter. The Demons in the third quarter would give up five turnovers and the fourth would give up another five turnovers.

This would also lead to a 9-0 run in the fourth quarter stopping the run of the Demons back on the hunt in the fourth quarter.

The Demons would end the game with 17 turnovers converting to 11 points for the Lions.

The game was in margins going back and forth between the teams in the early stages of the game, as the biggest lead would be a 25-18 lead by the Lions heading into the half. With turnovers and great defense on both sides of the court.

As both teams shot under 25% through the first 30 minutes of the game with the 3 point percentage being 12.5 percent from the Demons and 27.8 percent from the Lions.

The Demons were given an arm’s length chance given to them by the Lions as they would miss seven free throws in the last two minutes of the fourth quarter. Unfortunately, the Demons could not capitalize on the mistakes given to them.

As the Demons reflect on their season and the mistakes that plagued them. The coaching staff and players both came out of the season with a sense of pride and a step in the right direction for the future.

Lady Demons basketball head coach Anna Nimz spoke about the impact she hopes she brought to her players this season.

“Forever grateful to the kids that did it and how they’re impacted our lives. We pray we impacted their lives. Today we didn’t win but it’s the game and what I hope is there is nothing but incredible success for them in the future,” Nimz said.

As seniors on the Lady Demons basketball team reflect back on their last season being a Demon they look towards what the future holds for them.