Athlete of the Week: NSU Fall Athletes

As the leaves fall and the semester draws to a close, the Demon athletic family celebrates the success of its fall athletic programs. Our last athlete of the week column for the semester is dedicated to all of the fall athletes who represented our University in competition.

Under first year head coach Brad Laird, the Demon football team went 5-6 (4-5 in conference play), an improvement over the team’s performance past couple of years. While off to a rocky start against Texas A&M, the Demons turned it around as the season progressed, finishing off their season by mounting an impressive second half comeback victory at Stephen F. Austin, securing the largest trophy in college football, Chief Caddo.

On a different field, the Lady Demon soccer team rounded out their season with a 10-10 record (4-7 in conference play). The Lady Demons won 7 of their 10 games in front of a home crowd, and made it all the way to the Southland Conference tournament, where they ended their season with a 2-5 loss against Central Arkansas.

Off the field and on the course, the men and women’s cross country team thrived under the guidance of third year head coach Chris Sauer. With a young team mostly comprised of freshman, the teams both placed 10th in a 13 team field at the Southland Conference Championships, besting their placing from last season, and setting a foundation for future success.

On the court, the Lady Demon volleyball team went 12-15 (8-8 in conference play) winning half of their victories in front of a home crowd in Prather Stadium. The team finished out their season in the Southland Conference Tournament, losing 2-3 to Central Arkansas.

On behalf of the Current Sauce staff, I would like to congratulate all athletes on their dedication to their respective sports, and as always, fork ‘em Demons.