Demon football falls short of getting their first season win

Albert Hewitt

Contributing Writer

The Demons returned to Turpin Stadium Saturday to take on the University of Central Arkansas. The Bears stepped into an environment that most teams fear as many Demon fans filled the seats for the annual homecoming game.

The Demons started the game on offense and didn’t hesitate to put the ball into the end zone. The Demons put together a 12-play, 73-yard drive that ended in a two-yard rushing score from running back Jared West.

The Bears returned the ensuing kickoff for 24 yards. On the second play of their drive, Demon defensive back Frederick Lee Jr. intercepted the ball.

The Demons received the ball on their own 43-yard line. On the third play of the drive, quarterback Shelton Eppler found wide-open wide receiver Gavin Landry for a 54-yard touchdown.

This touchdown connection is the longest play from scrimmage for the Demons this season.

The Demons gained a 14-0 lead.

The Bears then scored their first touchdown on a 14-yard rush from running back Carlos Blackman.

At the end of the first quarter, Demon linebacker Ja’Quay Pough forced a fumble, the second Demon turnover of the game.

On the ensuing drive for the Demons, Eppler found West again for a 12-yard receiving touchdown. This put the Demons up 21-7.

The Bears responded with a seven-play, 70-yard drive. The drive resulted in a two-yard receiving touchdown from tight end Joshua Nix.

Before the half the Demons kicked a field goal, putting them up 24-14.

The Bears scored three points on their first drive of the second half. On the ensuing kickoff, the Bears were able to recover their onside kick attempt.

The Bears then put together a five-play, 43-yard drive that resulted in a five-yard touchdown from Blackman. In a few possessions, the Bears managed to tie the game 24-24.

Late in the third quarter, the Bears found end zone once more, putting them up 31-24.

After the Demons were able to play solid defense, Eppler found wide receiver Akile Davis for a nine-yard touchdown reception.

The Demons elected to go for the two-point conversion but came up just shy of being able to convert.

The Demons lost 31-30.

The Demons continue conference play this Saturday against the University of Incarnate Word. Kickoff is at 6 p.m. in San Antonio, Texas.