Limitless sports opportunities await students on NSU’s campus

NSU News Bureau

“I loved kayaking and heard there was a rowing team that traveled around and that sounded fun,” Morgan Mitchell, psychology major and member of the Northwestern State University of Louisiana rowing team, said.

With Northwestern State University of Louisiana’s football season coming to an end, NSU students are starting to look to spring sports’ seasons filled with baseball games and track and field events.

However, there are other sports communities that students can get involved in.
NSU’s rowing team, numbering at 38 more members than last year, continued to have events and even competitions despite COVID-19.

“I loved kayaking and heard there was a rowing team that traveled around and that sounded fun,” Morgan Mitchell, psychology major and former member of the NSU rowing team, said.

Mitchell noted the similarity between rowing and track due to the endurance and other workouts that are associated with each sport.

With its first meeting seeing great success, the Archery Club is another NSU sport kick starting this semester. Almost 30 members attended the meeting according to Jalen Bell, a sophomore health and science major and one of the members of the Archery Club.

“I did archery back when I used to be a Boy Scout, and ever since, I have had a love for it,” Bell said. “Me and my friend helped start it two weeks ago, and we’ve had so many students sign on despite never putting out any flyers.”

Bell said the main reason as to why such a sport on campus has gained such momentum so quickly is a combination of Louisiana’s hunting tradition and a large community of people who have experience with archery that wish to continue such a skill.

The ESports Venue is another opportunity for students to get involved. There are ESports teams for various competitive video games.

Tyler White, a music education junior who was a competitive Valorant player and now trying out the competitive world of Apex Legends, said there are now around 15 competitive members on the ESports team.

“I’ve always enjoyed the idea of competitive gaming since I started gaming back in junior high,” White said. “It’s different because you come from any background and still able to play. The opportunity to play also opens more doors to a career and entertainment.”

Correction – 11/16

At the time the piece was written, Morgan Mitchell was a member of the NSU rowing team. At the time of publication, Mitchell had resigned from the rowing team. The article was corrected to display the most current information.