NSU’s demons love the home game experience

Kaleb Gauthier

Home games are often a place where every student, from freshmen to seniors, come to watch their favorite sport being played by their fellow NSU Demons.

Home sports games, such as the Northwestern State University of Louisiana’s basketball game on Feb. 10, are some of NSU’s largest events for both the student body and the community of Natchitoches.

Home games are often a place where freshmen, seniors, alumni and family come to watch their favorite sport be played by their Northwestern State University students. It is also an epicenter for organizations on campus to organize their own events celebrating the occasion itself.

On Feb. 10, the Krewe of NSU pep rally was held, where NSU’s University Programming Council, along with other organizations, showed up giving away free king cake and gumbo to those who attended the game. In exchange, they could win a prize if they visited 5 of the booths giving out food or doing games.

Students however often go to home games for more than just the opportunity of food or other activities outside the game.

“I generally come out to support my friends and sometimes teammates,” Spencer Cody, junior psychology major, said.

There are also students who come as a part of an organization to support NSU’s teams during both home and away games. These students are oftentimes required by such organizations to attend.

“I’m in the marching band, so I attend all the home games,” Eli McFadden, junior music education major, said. “I prefer the basketball games, but I do like the football games because we get to perform our halftime shows.”

Jordan Johnson, a sophomore communication major, noted he enjoyed making a date out of NSU’s games.

“I love to come see basketball and softball because there is always a high energy there,” Jordan Johnson said.