Demons show potential amid losing streak

The last few weeks have proven to be tough for Men’s Basketball. The Demons currently have a 12-game losing streak, an overall record of 3-17 and a conference record of 0-9.

Despite this, Coach Mike McConathy says that the team’s spirit has not diminished. Their effort has shown in high points such as their 30-point win against Louisiana College on Dec. 9 and in the success of players like Ishmael Lane who has an average score of 12.7 points per 25.1 minutes of game time.

McConathy believes the losses are partly attributed to the fact that the team is made up of young players, many of which are freshmen.

“Moving forward, we have to make adjustments everyday to become a stronger team,” McConathy said. “After several tough losses we need to learn from the past and make an effort to become the team I know we’re capable of being.”

The season hasn’t been much easier for the Lady Demons, with an overall record of 6-14, a conference record of 1-8 and a three game losing streak.

Their most recent win was Jan. 17 against Sam Houston State University. It was a close game with a final score of 63-60—a team effort that kept the audience on the edge of their seats until the final second.

Several players have also suffered from injuries, three of which are starters.

“We’ve had a lot of really close games,” Head Coach Jordan Dupuy said. “We started out strong but it’s a day-by-day process and our girls just have to continue to put up a fight which will hopefully allow us to come out on top.”

Following the Jan. 31 home game against University of New Orleans is a double-header at home Feb. 3 against McNeese, a team that is currently 4-4 in the conference.

“McNeese has a lot of great players and a great coach,” McConathy said. “They’re a tough team to beat for sure but our team has been working hard and we hope to see that pay off.”

Both team schedules can be viewed at nsudemons.com