Kevin Powell to speak at Black History Month event

In honor of Black History Month, the Student Government Association is welcoming Kevin Powell as a speaker to encourage and support diversity on Northwestern State’s campus. He will speak on Wednesday, Feb. 13.

Powell is a known writer, speaker and advocate of social justice. A New Jersey native, he has written 12 books over his 30-year career along with appearing on CNN, ESPN, The Washington Post, and The Oprah Winfrey Show to name a few.  He was also the host and writer of the award-winning MTV documentary, “Straight from The Hood.”

According to Gloria Steinhem, a well-known activist and feminist: “As a charismatic speaker, leader, and a very good writer, Kevin Powell has the courage…to be fully human, and this will bring the deepest revolution of all.”

SGA is very excited to bring him over for Black History Month.

“It’s something we’ve always done for Black History Month. We represent all students, so this month we are giving events that students can come to learn more about these topics,” said SGA President Jacob Ellis.

Powell’s talk is titled “Looking for Martin: Dr. King, Community, Civil Rights, Social Media, & the New Activism.” It will highlight the life and atmosphere of the Civil Rights Movement and what more we can do to ensure equality of all.

Elizabeth Coleman, the Academic Affairs Commissioner for SGA, believes that “bringing in Mr. Powell will have a positive impact on the students. I believe that what he is presenting on is a relevant topic on university campuses.”