SGA discusses vaccine mandate at first meeting

Timothy Holdiness

Student Government Association Vice President Kaylynn Semien presiding over the first official SGA meeting of the semester.

The Student Government Association of Northwestern State University of Louisiana held their first official meeting of the semester at 6 p.m. on Monday evening.

SGA President Tja’h Edwards announced that, per Gov. John Bel Edwards’ mask mandate, masks would be required during meetings.

President Edwards reported that the following committees will be appointing members at the next meeting: Student Affairs Council, Auxiliary Services, Disciplinary Appeals Committee, Parking and Traffic Appeals Committee, Residential Life, Student Self Assessed Fees, Wellness, Recreation, Activity Center and Club Sports.

President Edwards announced that there are four open Senate seats that will be filled within the next few weeks.

President Edwards reported that the vaccine will become mandatory for the university after approval by the United States Food and Drug Administration.

Academic Affairs Commissioner Nick Cooksey announced that a search committee is meeting to find a replacement for the Watson Memorial Library Director Abbie Landry as she has resigned over the summer.

The Student Affairs Commissioner Bailey Willis announced that Whataburger and McAllister’s Deli of Natchitoches are working on creating a student discount for active NSU students.

The next meeting of the SGA will be on Monday, Aug. 23 at 6 p.m. in the Hendrick Ballroom of the Friedman Student Union.