Classes cancelled Monday due to Hurricane Ida

www.weather.gov

The current forecast has the storm making landfall as a category three hurricane. Ida is expected to reach the Louisiana and Arkansas border around 8 a.m. on Monday.

Northwestern State University of Louisiana has canceled classes for Monday, Aug. 30 in an abundance of caution for the impending storm which became Hurricane Ida early Friday.

“With the storm still being south of Cuba, there is plenty of time for it to intensify when it begins moving over the Gulf of Mexico,” said Aaron Stevens, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service in Shreveport.

Stevens reported Hurricane Ida is currently being tracked east of Natchitoches and is anticipated to move upwards along the border of Louisiana and Mississippi.

“Current tracking is showing the eye reaching the coast of Louisiana about 6 a.m. on Sunday and should be somewhere south of our area, around Lake Charles, around 8 p.m. Sunday,” said Stevens.

“Our first concern is for the safety of students, faculty and staff,” Interim President Marcus Jones said. “We encourage students and others not to travel Monday when the university is closed and to exercise extreme caution throughout the weather emergency.”

Julie Powell, the environmental health and safety officer, advised students to be sure their phones, electronics and power banks are fully charged. Powell also instructed students to have snacks, water and flashlights on hand.

“I hope that everyone exercises caution and remains safe,” Powell said.

The Current Sauce will continue to cover the storm as it intensifies. Students, faculty and staff can monitor the weather through their emails, as the university will be sending out Purple Alerts or Student Messengers with pertinent information throughout the impending hurricane.