SGA passes senate budget

Timothy Holdiness

Northwestern State University of Louisiana’s Student Government Association stands for the pledge of allegiance at the beginning of Monday’s meeting.

The Student Government Association of Northwestern State University of Louisiana held their weekly meeting on Sept. 28 at 6 p.m. in the Hendrick Ballroom of the Friedman Student Union.

SGA President Taj’h Edwards reported that the donations for the Stuff the Bus event at NSU will be combined with the donations from the University of Louisiana at Monroe.

“The donations will be sent from North Louisiana on one bus,” said Edwards.

Vice President Kaylyn Simeon stated that the SGA will not be holding a meeting over the fall break and will meet next on Monday, Oct. 11.

Speaker of the Senate Grace Gosserand reported that Voter Registration Day will be held in the Student Union lobby on Tuesday, Sept. 28 from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.

Student Affairs Commissioner Bailey Willis reported that Mental Health Awareness Week is from Oct. 3 to Oct. 9.

The senate approved the creation of the committee on Swipe Out Hunger, followed by Edwards appointing senators to the committee.

The senate approved the 2021-2022 Senate Budget without objection.

Senator Mariah Kador announced that the Natchitoches Fair will be at the Fairgrounds from Wednesday Oct. 29 to Saturday, Oct. 2.

Kador reported that the Purple Pizzazz Pom Line would be dancing at the fair on Wed. Oct. 29 at 6:30 pm.
Senators Kador and Scruggs sponsored Resolution Fall 2021-04, which was made to express condolences to south Louisiana universities for the destruction caused by Hurricane Ida and encourage students to donate to the Stuff the Bus hurricane relief project.

The SGA unanimously passed R. F. 2021-04, and said “that the Northwestern State University Student Government Association expresses our most genuine condolences to the residents, university officials and students which occupy southeast Louisiana and any other affected areas.”

Senators Brunswik and Vienne sponsored Student Bill Fall 2021-01, which is “to make necessary edits to the Organizational Relief Fund guidelines.”

The SGA unanimously passed SB.F. 2021-01, which updated the guidelines to remove the name of the recently abolished Student Activities Board and replace it with the newly formed University Programming Council.