Indoor mask mandate to stay in place at NSU

Timothy Holdiness

According to the University of Louisiana System guidelines, it is required for students, faculty and staff to wear masks in classrooms and the other public indoor places in areas of substantial or high transmission.

Interim President of Northwestern State University of Louisiana Marcus Jones announced on Wednesday, Oct. 27 that the indoor mask mandate would remain in place, following the announcement by Louisiana Gov. John Bel Edwards that the statewide mask mandate would be coming to an end.

“It is with an abundance of caution that we will continue to wear masks indoors,” Jones said in a press release. “NSU’s indoor mask mandates have played a role in the low numbers of COVID cases on campus and we will continue to mask up until COVID no longer poses a threat to public health.”

Maddi Dalusung, a senior natural science major said, “I think the continued mask mandate on campus is a smart decision to help prevent the next wave of cases in the coming colder months.”

“I’m glad that the indoor mask mandate is still on campus,” said Kennedi Carter, a senior communications major. “Masks have been proven to prevent the spread of COVID-19.”

“Even if the campus mask mandate was lifted, I still would have worn my mask to protect myself from others,” said Carter.

Some students were positive towards keeping the mandate in place.

“The mask mandate doesn’t really bother me,” said Kaila Armstrong, a freshman computer information systems major.

“It’s okay,” said Derrick Lee, a freshman computer information systems major. “It keeps people safe indoors where you have a higher chance of catching COVID-19.”

Other students are hoping for a more relaxed mandate.

“I think we shouldn’t have to wear masks by choice,” said Corey Wright, a freshman business major.

“It should be a choice at certain places,” Wright said.

“I think if people have the vaccines then we should relax the mask mandate inside if it’s a small class and enough space,” said Star Meziere, a freshman fine and graphic arts major.

There is still time to participate in the Shot for $100 initiative. The Hachney Gallery will have the last COVID-19 vaccine clinic of the month on Thursday, Oct. 28 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.