Marching on, students memorialize Martin Luther King Jr.

Valentina Herazo Alveraz

Northwestern State Student Community march down to the Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial Triangle to honor the Civil Rights Leader.

On Jan. 17, the town of Natchitoches and students at Northwestern State University of Louisiana gathered together to memorialize the late social rights activist, Martin Luther King Jr.

At 9 a.m. a prayer breakfast was held in the Martin Luther King recreation center. Following the breakfast, participants lined up for the march in the Ben Johnson’s parking lot.

According to, Breiania Aplerku, a sophomore nursing major, the holiday is not an ordinary one.

“It is a day to be productive, not a day to sit around,” Aplerku said.

Dane Wallace, a sophomore business administration major, said the holiday is special.

“It’s wonderful that people come out here, and get together,” Wallace said.

Zachary Clement, a junior biology pre-med major said he attended the march to support the late Martin Luther King Jr.’s activism.

“Being able to support what Martin Luther King did,” Clement said. “It means a lot to me.”
Gabby Casson, a senior child and family studies majors, attended the march for fellowship.

At 11 a.m. NSU’s Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity led the march. The march extended from the Ben Johnson’s parking lot to the Dr. Martin Luther King Triangle Park.

The dedication ceremony featured presentations by the Lifted Voices Gospel Choir, a spoken word by African American Caucus President Ialiyah Weaver, and a laying of the wreath by the Theta Chi Chapter of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity.

Darrin Nixon, president of NSU’s National Association of Colored People and NSU’s National Pan-Hellenic Council, served as a guest speaker.

In a closing remark Nixon recited a quote by the late Martin Luther King Jr.

“If you cannot fly, then run. If you cannot run, then walk,” Nixon said. “If you cannot walk then crawl, but by all means keep moving.”