Elevator issues are a recurring issue at NSU: is it time for new buildings?:

Valentina Herazo Alvarez

John S. Kyser Hall, the largest building on Northwestern State University of Louisiana campus, is experiencing issues with one of their elevators. With the building having four floors, it poses a concern for students with physical disabilities.

Kendall Fowler, a sophomore math education major, said it does not affect her, but it is an issue for people she is acquainted with.

“I know several people with disabilities that were unable to attend class in person because they can’t take the stairs,” Fowler said.

La’Dreca Green, a junior criminal justice major, said the elevators are necessary.

“They need to get it fixed, for the students that really need it,” Green said.

Some faculty may also face difficulties getting to the classroom, and are having to move their classes online. Director of Accessibility and Disability Support, Randi Washington, said those with physical disabilities are being accommodated.

“Instructors have worked with those students to still make it work,” Washington said. “No student has faced any penalties as far as classwork.”

According to Washingston, buildings older than the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 do not have to meet the same standard. If audited, Kyser Hall would pass inspection because of the year it was built.

Washington also said the age of the building makes it harder to find parts for the elevators. Washington noted the building manager is working to ensure that all elevator parts arrive on time.

“It may appear as no one cares or no efforts are being made, but that is not the case,” Washington said.