SGA announces new bills and confronts reoccurring issues

On Sept. 26, the Student Government Association of Northwestern State University of Louisiana passed three resolutions.

Senators Avery Tullos and Myah Washington sponsored R.F. 2022. 07 in support of domestic violence awareness month in October.

Senators Alex Walker and Sha’Rron Brown sponsored R.F. 2022. 08 to celebrate Clementine Hunter.

Senators Lyndsay Brown and Makensie Vienne sponsored R.F. 2022. 09 to encourage mental health awareness.

Senator Alex Engstrom announced he contacted Sodexo about the ability to use declining balance on vending machines. However, vending machines are operated by an outside company.

Senator Engstrom is now making efforts to resolve the issue of leftover declining balance. Every year there are about 50, 000 dollars left over from the declining balance that goes back to Sodexo. Senator Engstrom suggested SGA could request some of the money back to NSU to be used for food insecurities or donated to the Food Pantry.

Senator Mary Scruggs announced she met with Lisa Harris, director of human resources, for updates on the recurring issues with John S. Kyser Hall elevators. All faculty that are unable to use the stairs have been moved to alternative locations. Senator Scruggs and Harris encourage students with the ability to use the stairs to refrain from using the elevators at this time.

Senator Tullos announced she is working with the Office of Accessibility and Disability Support to start an organization on campus for students with disabilities.

Speaker Mariah Kador announced Jirnecia Ward as senator of the week.