Homecoming 2022 royalty express their gratitude

Lia Portillo Cantarero

(L-R) Meet Jonatan Jimenez, Morgan Landry, Bailey Willis and Ebenezer Aggrey, NSU’s homecoming 2022 royalties.

Northwestern State University of Louisiana is once again celebrating another homecoming week. As is custom, the student body and recognized student organizations nominated and voted on students to represent NSU’s homecoming court and its royalties.
Those who won the royalty titles are Mr. NSU Jonatan Jimenez, senior biology major; Miss NSU Morgan Landry, senior biology major; homecoming queen Bailey Willis, junior secondary education major; and homecoming king Ebenezer Aggrey, junior accounting major.
In order to be picked for the title, the candidate must be nominated by five registered student organizations on campus. Typically, members of those organizations hold leadership positions or are major figures in their respective organizations.
Whether it is their involvement in the Student Government Association, honor societies, greek life, community organizations or starting their own organizations, these four students have immersed themselves in NSU.
What brought Jimenez and Willis to Northwestern and to eventually become the face of it was that they were welcomed by the friendliness of the campus and how its small size made it perfect for creating connections.
“I’m a first-generation student. Back in high school, my teachers were NSU alumni, and they were people I looked up to and they loved it here. I thought I would too, because of how homely it is. Plus it is close to home,” Jimenez said.
Jimenez was unaware that his name would be considered for the title of Mr. NSU.
“When I saw my name on that ballot, I was honestly surprised. I wasn’t surprised to be on for court, but it was still a shock,” Jimenez said.
Willis looked forward to the opportunity to be nominated for homecoming court.
“I decided to run for the position because it’s an honor, and I appreciate how students get to vote firsthand and nominate people as well people they feel have done a lot for this campus as a whole, and it is an honor to be picked by the students,” Willis said.
Landry expressed her excitement to be named Miss NSU.
“My involvement across campus, in addition to academics, has allowed me to connect with numerous students and share my joie de vivre or “joy of life” throughout my time here at NSU,” Landry said. “I enjoy being a friendly face on campus and never cease to go out of my way for the family I have gained within the past 3 years!”
For Aggrey, the honor of being recognized by the student body with a high title is a reflection of what NSU has molded him into.
“I enjoy investing my time with my NSU family,” Aggrey said. “The relationships and bonds I’ve created along the way has really helped in developing the man I am today.”
The honor of being the homecoming court’s royalties is something Jimenez, Aggrey, Willis and Landry all are in awe of. Their commitment to NSU will be recognized and celebrated by attendees on Oct. 22 at 2:30 p.m. during halftime of the football game.