The Lady Demon’s volleyball team wins against Nicholls

Christian Robinson
Along with the win from the game, the Lady Demons volleyball team observed Suicide Prevention Awareness day by wearing purple and teal.

Northwestern State University of Louisiana Lady Demon Volleyball team scorches Nicholls State University Colonels at home 3-0, a seventh straight victory and their third straight sweep win.

“We’re on a nice run, it’s nice to win each time with someone different in the conference, they bring different challenges and I’m happy to get a 3-0 set win,” Coach Sean Kiracofe said.

The Lady Demons effectively disposed of the Nicholls Colonels in 25-23, 25-12, 25-13 sets and will move on to 7-7 in the season. The first set showed that the Lady Demons struggled to put away the Colonels when they held a 20-15 lead, but closed it out. Following that, the Lady Demons made quick work of the Colonels with impressive spurts of offense and blocking seen from the Lady Demons.

“Just consistency with things I feel like it is a matchup of skill or athleticism, we have the advantage, it is up to us to take advantage of them in a more consistent way,” Coach Kiracofe said. He is looking to improve the team and be more prepared and sharp for the upcoming games.

The Lady Demons ended the game with their highest hitting performance of .303. Committing only 14 errors in the game, the Lady Demons had two or more kills from six different attackers and an early 10-0 run.

With junior outside hitter Breanna Burrell having a career-best .643 hitting percentage, she helped end the game with 9 kills and 2 blocks, adding to an already dominant performance from the Lady Demons as this win puts them in rare air. This win makes the seven game winning streak the second longest winning streak in program history, and the fourth straight sweep makes the longest streak in program history since 2003.

Along with the win from the game, the Lady Demons volleyball team observed Suicide Prevention Awareness day by wearing purple and teal. The team dedicated the game to break the stigma against mental health while inviting the community to take part in their victory.

The Lady Volleyball Demons look to continue their dominance on Tuesday as they head to Commerce, Texas to take on Texas A&M Commerce Lions at 6:30 p.m. on ESPN+.