NSU’s Demons Hall of Fame Sports Class of 2023

Christian Robinson
“It is always an honor for us to announce and bring a spotlight onto these great players and get them to reflect on their careers,” Jason Pugh, assistant athletics director for media relations, said.

To officially give honor to the 2023 Northwestern State University of Louisiana class to be inducted in the Demons Hall of Fame Sports, Jason Pugh announced 12 people to be inducted on Nov. 4 at 9 a.m. ahead of the NSU football team’s homecoming game against Houston Christian University. For the first time since 2017, all inductees come from competitive portions of the ballots.

The event, however, is headlined by four All American talents in football: linebacker Andre Carron (1991), offensive linemen William Broussard (1998, 1999), offensive linemen Gene Tennison (2001) and defensive end Ahmad Willis (2001).

All men combined to have five All-American honors in their NSU careers all of which will be joining the Hall of Fame together bringing more prestige to an already great class of talent.

“This opens up the school athletics program with recruits and even football players saying ‘Hey maybe I can be like Will,’” Jason Pugh said on the impact the NSU Hall of Fame Class has on athletes to see the prestige of honor bestowed upon great players both on and off the field.

Across the other men’s sports, NSU’s entire men’s basketball team of 2000-2001 will be inducted. They made history, becoming the first team to participate in the NCAA (National Collegiate Athletics Association) tournament and won the Opening round 71-67 against Winthrop, but unfortunately falling to top seed Illinois later on. This (19-13) team went on to win the Southland Conference, beating three top seed teams that beat them in the regular season.

Also joining the NSU men’s baseball inductees are Matt Donner (1994-1995) who was a two-time first team All-Southland third baseman, and Brandon Morgan (2003-2006) a three time All-American second baseman, being on the first team twice in 2004, 2006 and in 2005.

For the women’s inductees, Jacqueline Canton of track and field (2000-2003) who to this day holds NSU’s record for both men and women in high jump with a record of a 5-11 ¼ clearance in 2001. A three-time NCAA Championship qualifier, with two indoors in 2001 and 2003 and one outdoors with her record jump in 2001.

Brittany Cargill of the NSU women’s soccer team (1998-2000) is also inducted for being a three time first team All Southland Conference, 2000 Southland Player of the year, and SLC Tournament MVP in 2000. She was also on the first team All-Louisiana in 2000. Following her in the women’s soccer team honor is Erin Herbert (2004-2007) who was also a Southland Player of the Year in 2007 and a three time first team All-Southland Conference.

Annie Johnston rounds out the class and is the only female softball player to be inducted this year. She was the first-team Academic All-American Southland Conference Player of the Year and Hitter of the Year, and All-South Region two time All-Southland Conference and two time All-Louisiana.

“It is a special feeling sitting on that Saturday and listening to these great players’ stories and really get a nostalgic feeling witnessing greatness in-person and believe the school’s athletics benefits greatly for it,” Jason Pugh said.