NSU unveils new digital billboard

Tyra Jones
The new billboards will project slideshow ads that rotate every 6 to 8 seconds. The digital technology allows for the board to stream live data and user-generated content from personal websites or social media platforms in real time.

Northwestern State University of Louisiana has received new digital billboards that elevate out-of-home advertising with remote controlled displays. Lamar Advertising, a Baton Rouge-based outdoor advertising company, collaborated with NSU to replace its traditional billboards with dynamic digital displays.

The new billboards will project slideshow ads that rotate every 6 to 8 seconds. The digital technology allows for the board to stream live data and user-generated content from personal websites or social media platforms in real time. Furthermore, advertisers can alter their messages within minutes, affording the flexibility to change content as often as wished without extra production cost.

Drake Owens, NSU’s executive vice president for external affairs, explained that Lamar proposed a comprehensive plan, which involved replacing the old wooden billboard structure completely.

“The proposal from Lamar included plans to build a brick base for the video board that would serve as an entry sign for NSU and support the video screen,” Owens said. “The video board will feature eight advertising spots, five of which will feature events and activities happening at NSU, and the remaining three spaces will be used by Lamar to sell as advertising space.”

The project comes at no upfront cost to NSU. Instead, the university will share the revenue generated from advertising with Lamar Advertising after the initial term of the signed location agreement.

“NSU entered into a sign location agreement ancillary to the lease that allows Lamar to sell advertising space in exchange for fronting the cost of the new structure and providing NSU with ad space,” Owens said. “At the end of the payback term, NSU and Lamar will share in the revenue generated from advertising.”

Cole Gentry, executive assistant to the president and director of strategic initiatives, believes that new digital billboards will fit the aesthetic he hopes for of NSU.

“We were really excited when Lamar approached us. It’s going to be a lot better than what it used to be. The ability for digital advertising to change the message whenever you want it’s extremely valuable,” Gentry said.

Moreover, students in the Department of Fine and Graphic Arts will have the opportunity to design billboards that could be displayed on the new digital billboards on campus as part of their curriculum.

Pete Gorham, a senior fine and graphic art major with a concentration in studio art, typically paints with oils, watercolors or sculpts. He believes adding digital marketing to the curriculum would be a great opportunity for students. “I believe it would fall under Creative Tech, and I haven’t taken that class yet. It focuses on making ads, posters and other digital artworks,” Gorham said.

When it comes to artwork, Gorham said he enjoys trying all mediums and doesn’t want to be tied down to one medium. Given the opportunity to create ads on digital billboards, he believes, would be a really cool project to take on.

Josiah Irchirl, a freshman general studies major who focuses on illustration, expressed that the opportunity for students to create ads for the school would be great. “I think that sounds like a great opportunity,” Irchirl said.

The transition from traditional wooden billboards to these digital displays allows NSU to showcase its offerings to prospective students.

Gentry summarized the potential effect of this change, “Viewers that pass by Northwestern see the billboards with the images and graphics, and it’s kind of embedded in their mind. Then they’ll be on social media and see a TikTok or reel on Instagram. High school students or people that have shown interest in Northwestern will see what we have to offer through these ads.”