Intramural sports at NSU: Where fun meets competition

Jayda Gee
Intramural volleyball teams practiced for the championship at the Wellness Recreation and Activity Center (WRAC) courts.

Intramural sports at Northwestern State University of Louisiana offer an opportunity for students, regardless of their sports experience, to be involved. Intramurals give students the ability to engage in a variety of athletic activities at their own pace. Students who participate in these sports do it for fun but they also compete for championships.

“It is helpful and fun for me, as someone who doesn’t play sports, to learn about it at a steady pace,” Alondra Torres, a junior communication major and intramural student worker, said.

Jason Stelly, the director for competitive sports, explained the diversity of intramural sports, including flag football, volleyball, softball and basketball for both men and women. Each sport holds their own championship tournament.

“We aren’t the only school who has intramural sports so it is a full season for students to compete for the gold,” Stelly said.

Intramural sports are open to both full-time and part-time students who are able to apply for any sports and gender. There are coed sports for both men and women to compete against each other. Intramural sports provide students with the flexibility to enjoy sports on their terms, allowing them to unwind, learn and play without the rigid schedules of established NSU sports teams.

Intramural sports often open lanes for students to make friends and experience team cooperation. Allowing freshmen and even seniors gain skills and friendships to make their college experience more thrilling and fun.

“I remember me and my partner freshman year just tried it together and now the team that I made in the flag football league are my friends for life ” Tel Cooper, sophomore sports communication major, said.

Enjoying the games and playing for the teams allow incoming freshmen to be active in a sport they love.

“Advice I would give to freshmen is to go all in on intramural sports. Even though my group came in with not many expectations we ended up becoming friends forever and won,” Cooper said.

Students are encouraged to form their own teams, choose their own coaches or captains. The teams can set dates that fit everyone’s schedule.

“Every team sends us dates that fit within their schedule and we set the dates and times that best fits them and their opponents,” Stelly said.

Students get to learn while they play in a relaxing setting, as opposed to the pressures of an established sports team.

“It’s nice to see students try new sports and learn the game and have fun playing the game,” Torres said.

However, it does take work on the students’ side, with forming a team, referring and learning the game itself. This helps student’s organizational skills, allowing them to prove themselves in these sports, to truly experience what intramurals offers.