Demons Men’s basketball seek to redeem their losses with defensive strategies

CJ Paligo
NSU Demons Men’s basketball win against Texas A&M-Commerce 70-57.

Northwestern State University of Louisiana men’s basketball team currently sits at 6-16 this season, which is last in the Southland conference. While this is happening, coaches and players are working to find the solution to save the season heading to March.

One of the issues is traveling on the road, as the NSU Demons are 1-11 on the road this season. With the only win coming against University of New Orleans Privateers 92-67 on Jan. 20.

NSU head coach Rick Cabrera is still holding out hope for his players and believes that his players are slowly getting the message and that his team is finding an identity.

“You know I like what I saw from our players tonight and that is the team we coached and if we see more of that we will be fine,” coach Cabrera said after the loss against McNeese State University on Jan. 8.

Cabrera said that the identity of the team was defense and rebounding and believed he saw that in that game and hoped to see it going forward.

One of the adjustments made was to play to bigs in the starting lineup to help with the rebounding and defense. Also, to get second chance points to help the offense and improve the rotation.

Cabrera even praised the team on its effort and willingness to win games and sees that as a positive moving forward.

“All we can ask from our players is to play hard for 40 minutes and that’s what I saw,” Cabrera said.

Coach saw the effort he was looking for as the losing streak was snapped in a win at home against Texas A&M Commerce 70-57. However, this win did not come without trouble.

“Can’t say we haven’t been here before but the timeouts(in the second half) I was not a happy camper,” coach Cabrera said.

As he stressed the importance of defense and how much it was needed to pull away and win.

“They have to defend in fear.They defended like it was the last possession they would ever play,” coach Cabrera said.

As he applauded the defensive effort on the court only allowing 22 points in the first half and 35 in the second half putting on one of their best defensive performances of the season.